Of all the things I have always wanted to do, one thing that was recommended to me, was to get certified as a substitute teacher in the West Virginia Public School system.
So I did. I received my licensing on November 30, 2015 and went right to work.
To date I have had a blast. Although in all cases so far I only get 1 day with the kids, the days always end with the kids asking if I can come back. I can only imagine how fantastic it could be if I were able to spend more time with the kids.
Schools and Grades Taught (alphabetical)
- Blue Ridge Elementary School, Charles Town, WV – 4th and 5th Grades
- Jefferson High School, Shenandoah Junction, WV – 9th and 11th Grade English and History, 9th Grade Honors English and 9th Grade BD (Behavioral Disorders) If you are a parent you need to ask your kids about the LOOP.
- North Jefferson Elementary School, Kearneysville, WV – 1st (included creating my own lesson plans for 6 days) and 3rd Grade.
- Opportunity Learning Center, Charles Town, WV
- Page Jackson School K-2, Charles Town, WV – Special Education (English and Math) and 2nd Grade Mainstream.
- Ranson Elementary School, Ranson, WV – 2nd Grade
- Shepherdstown Elementary School, Shepherdstown, WV – 3rd Grade (Great kids! Hope to go back)
- T.A. Lowery Elementary School, Shenandoah Junction, WV – Special Education (2nd and 4th Grade) Moderate MR kids. Wonderful experience.
- Wildwood Middle School, Shenandoah Junction, WV – 6th Grade Science and Math and Development Reading for 6-8th Grades (Kids are OK but experienced interference from TA’s only interested in disciplining the kids)
If you are in the system and want to offer me a job send me an email and I will give you my ID. stevenleedouglas(at)gmail.com. So far I have been hopping between schools but would very much like a LONG TERM SUB job if you know of one that is coming up.