About one hour ago I chased off a troop of Boy Scouts from the Shenandoah Area Council. They were in our neighborhood as they usually are each year, putting notices on our door knobs to collect canned foods for the local food bank in Charles Town, WV. Unlike past years, this time I chased them away. They already got all the doors in the neighborhood before I could get to them but I still had an exchange with one of the Troop parents/leaders.
I identified myself as the President of the HOA, which I actually am. I told him we have strict policies regarding Soliciting in our Community and next time I would have to call the police. He said he did not know. I told him he was aware since there are large signs at the entrances to all of our streets that say No Soliciting.
So, should we allow the Boy Scouts of America to solicit our Community? After all it is for a good cause.
Or, should they at least have attempted to ask one of the neighbors if they would allow them to break our rules for their needs? This should have been attempted.
The evening of the day we put up the No Soliciting signs, a local Baptist Church from Kearneysville, WV sent two of its elders to our Community to knock on doors. I mentioned to them that we do not allow Soliciting in our Community. I could see their minds ticking, “but we were sent here by God who surely does not have to follow such humane rules?”
So, why the concerns?
Last Spring, when our own local girl scouts were selling cookies in the Community (which they should NOT have done since we do have the policy), one of our dogs attacked and bit one of these girl scouts, a girl who lived IN our Community. The owners of the dog were of course apologetic and concerned but they did point out that there is the No Soliciting Rule in our Community which has been in place since the Community was built 10 years ago.
What is your view on this subject? Do you live in a Community with similar rules? Are they enforced? Do you make exceptions for Missionaries, Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts? Who then is responsible if one of the neighborhood dogs bites one of the solicitors?
- Making Sure Your Unit Credits All of Your Donations for the Popcorn Sale (popcornguy.org)
- Girl Scouts On Parade! (ireport.cnn.com)
- Jamie O’Bryan, Girl Scouts of America Volunteer (jamieobryan.wordpress.com)
- Honoring a “truly awesome” Colorado Girl Scout volunteer (gscoblog.wordpress.com)
- Boy Scout volunteer charged with being craigslist creeper (trenchreynolds.me)
- How enforceable are non-competition and non-solicitation agreements in employment contracts? (employmentlawottawa.com)
- APS custodian arrested on child solicitation charge (KOB.com)
- Calvary Church among Charlotte area churches to drop Boy Scouts program (wcnc.com)
- Public Safety Officer Accused Of Soliciting Sex Act From A Minor (losangeles.cbslocal.com)