The title of this piece is meant to be tongue in cheek or should I say smoke up the nose?
I will admit, although I honestly dont know why this should be necessary, I am a former smoker. And as most former smokers, I am sensitive to cigarette smoke, at least the kind that you cannot escape from.
As my young son and I visited the neighborhood Food Lion store on old Rt 9 in Kearneysville, WV, two of the store employees were standing in front of the entrance way sliding door (within 4 feet) smoking. The skies were clear and it was nice and warm so there is no reason they had to stand right there but this is where they chose to have their cigarettes.
When I asked inside if either of the smokers were members of management the answer was no. I thought this was a good thing so I did not have to have an argument with management. The cashier called up the assistant store manager who I brought my concern to.
Her response was:
THEY ARE NOT ON THE CLOCK.
Then the store manager came and I asked him if the store policy allows for employees to stand in front of the entrance door smoking. His response was:
THEY ARE NOT ON THE CLOCK.
We then took the discussion outside near the smokers, who continued to smoke of course and look at me in a fairly stupid way. Imagine that!
This time we spoke in front of at least 5 employees including the two NOT ON THE CLOCK. They pointed out that the cigarette ash tray was near the door and could not be any further away because it would be too close to the propane tanks. GOOD POINT ???
I suggested that they move the ashtray to the other side beyond the other door, and away from the pathway used to access that doorway.
The response to this suggestion was different. To that I received a combination of
Dumb Stares and disgust by the smokers who were OFF THE CLOCK. No surprise here.
According to this particular un-named store manager, there are no rules that require an employee who is OFF THE CLOCK, to smoke in areas that do not require customers to share their smoke.
If you happen to work for Food Lion Stores and agree with these folks that I am an obnoxious customer who needs to hold my nose if I dont like it, please share this with me and readers of this post. It would be interesting to see how many people agree with you, and not me.
If you work for Food Lion Corporate and want names let me know.
- Safeway, SUPERVALU and Food Lion to Stop Selling ‘Pink Slime’ Beef – ABC News (drugstoresource.wordpress.com)
- Why smoke when you can vape? (greenreview.blogspot.com)
- More Food Lion layoffs reported (knoxnews.com)
- The Genuine Financial Worth of Smoking (boldstate.com)
- Benefits of E-liquid Explored In Detail (boldstate.com)
- Smokers: At least don’t smoke in the park (joyat60.wordpress.com)
- Food Lion Closing | Complete List of Stores Closing (faithfulprovisions.com)
- Indonesian boy smokes two packs a day (reuters.com)
- Recognize Which Ones You Love (boldstate.com)
- Hey, Guess What? Smoking Leads to More Acne (bellasugar.com)
- Coupon Matchups : Safeway, Food Lion & More (forthemommas.com)
- Store Deals: Dillons, Food Lion, King Soopers & More! (livingrichwithcoupons.com)
- 29 Food Lion stores in Georgia to close (ajc.com)
- Coupon Matchups : BJ’s, Food Lion, Hy-vee & More (forthemommas.com)
- Food Lion will close 113 stores, 10 in western Carolinas (livingstrongandhappy.blogspot.com)