Bechtel moving 625 jobs to Fairfax
by Michael Neibauer, Staff Reporter
Date: Monday, November 7, 2011, 3:35pm EST – Last Modified: Monday, November 7, 2011, 4:38pm EST
Bechtel’s decision to move its Global Operations, Government Services and civil business units to Reston is a “huge coup” for Virginia and Fairfax County, McDonnell said in a statement. The San Francisco-based contracting giant, whose work includes the Metrorail extension to Dulles International Airport, will lease about 200,000 square feet at One Reston Overlook and Two Reston Overlook. An earlier release stated incorrect square footage.
“The company was attracted to the commonwealth due to its business environment, cost, and ability to attract the best workforce to meet future growth needs, especially [information technology] and engineering employees in the area,” McDonnell said.
The announcement comes three weeks after Bechtel Power Corp. agreed to keep 1,250 employees in Frederick, in return for a $9.5 million conditional loan from the state of Maryland. At the time, Bechtel said it was still deciding what to do with the remaining 625 Maryland-based employees not connected to Bechtel Power.
The move to Virginia will come in 2012, said Bechtel CEO Bill Dudley.
“The Reston Town Center is an ideal location for Bechtel and makes the best sense for the long-term positioning of parts of our business,” Dudley said in a statement. “We will have a central, more convenient location to Washington, D.C. and the Reagan National and Dulles International Airports, which facilitates access to our domestic and international customers; and proximity to the Dulles Technology Corridor.
The $1.5 million Virginia grant will be used to assist Fairfax County with the project, according to the governor’s office. The $5 million grant will be based on yet-unknown performance-based incentives, though they’re usually tied to investments, hiring and wages.
- Bechtel says local content plans okay (news.theage.com.au)
- The Killer Within (cinemusing.wordpress.com)
- Romney, McDonnell make political stop in Fairfax; fundraisers also on the agenda – Washington Post (news.google.com)
- Guest column: Bechtel Jacobs: Farewell to ET, thanks to employees (knoxnews.com)
- Voter Guide for Fairfax County School Board (redapplemom.wordpress.com)
- BESTECH and BPR-Bechtel: A New Business Agreement (prweb.com)
- Governor McDonnell endorses Spike Williams for Fairfax Chairman! (virginiavirtucon.wordpress.com)
- 2011 Bechtel Prize Deadline Approaches (witsalliance.wordpress.com)
- You: Safety doubts raised at U.S. nuclear waste cleanup project (latimes.com)
- Nuclear Disaster in the US: How Bechtel Is Botching the World’s Costliest Environmental Cleanup (alternet.org)
- A 20 Year Old Holiday Tradition Continues At The Hyatt Regency Reston Hotel (prweb.com)
- Nigeria to lose 1m man-hrs on $15bn LNG deal (vanguardngr.com)