When I went to Catholic University in the late 1970’s (79-82) one of my favorite courses was Sociology. It was one of my general studies courses and one of the only classes I got an A. I probably only got a handful of A’s during my time at CUA. I do remember one other course I took which was Women’s Studies. Beleive it or not (of course you will) I took the course to meet girls. Most guys would unless they learned before hand that girls who took that class were the more independent minded (marry me, first) girls at CUA. What was so important about both classes was that they taught me how to be socially aware of my surroundings. In hindsight I find it quite amazing that it was at the Pope‘s school.
Towards the end of the class students started talking about what they dont like about Shepherd University AND Shepherdstown, from a social or anthropological view. Some thoughts that I came away with I want to share.
2. “No matter how I dress, when I walk down German Street people look at me funny, either because they think I act better than they are (I dress better), or people frown at me like I am below them.” – A Shepherd On-Campus student
I made an overarching observation tonight that there is an absolute disconnect between the University and the Town. My immediate reaction is that this needs to change and any assimilation attempts would benefit both cultures.
- Culture’s Collide: Shepherd U vs Shepherdstown (myshepherdstown.wordpress.com)
- Shepherdstown, WV USA? (myshepherdstown.wordpress.com)
- Guest Lecturer at Shepherd U. Great Students! (myshepherdstown.wordpress.com)
- Shepherd Ranked Seventh in Final Afca Poll (12-20-2010) (myshepherdstown.wordpress.com)
- Memory (sldouglas.wordpress.com)
- American Conservation Film Festival Starts Today (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Renewal Notice show in Shepherdstown West Virginia (craftzine.com)
- District Court: No Orders Against Shepherd Hotel Work (israelnationalnews.com)
- PM Distances Self from Shepherd Hotel Affair (israelnationalnews.com)
- “Jewish Rights, Official Statement About Shepherd Hotel” and related posts (shilohmusings.blogspot.com)