We moved to Shepherdstown, West Virginia in 2004. Long before buying a new home in this small hamlet at the Eastern tip of West Virginia’s Eastern Panhandle, my wife and I had already spent several years weekend’s visiting the region as a means to get a way from the hustle and bustle of Montgomery County, Maryland.
I was a regular commuter on the MARC Brunswick Line when I lived in Gaithersburg, Maryland and imagined that increasing my commute by another hour would actually allow me enough time to actually relax on the train between home and work every day. It also guaranteed me a seat on the train by getting on in West Virginia. I found it very difficult to rest on a short 40-minute commute to Washington DC.
Since arriving in Shepherdstown, a city older than our country and a location famous for its role in the Civil War, Steam Locomotives, the oldest train station in America, nearby Antietam Battlefield, where the Shenandoah River feeds into the Potomac Rivers, the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains, and famous Appalaichian Trail, I have learned much about Shepherdstown, the State of West Virginia and many other quirks about the region.
The posts on this blog are always tied into the region either directly from events taking place here to potential weather fronts heading in our direction. On occassion I also post things that in someway or another have an impact on Shepherdstown or areas within driving range.
Please comment when you can and feel free to add posts if you feel inclined.
Thanks for reading
Steven Douglas, a.k.a. The Clear Thinker (twitter)
Shepherdstown, WV 25443 (God’s Country)
- The first chapter of my NaNoWriMo project (eoghann.com)
- Shepherdstown is now Stinkstown!!! (myshepherdstown.wordpress.com)
- Mozart on the Morning School Bus? (an original post) (myshepherdstown.wordpress.com)
- Things happen that we are not used to in Shepherdstown… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Does the word “redneck” originate from West Virginia? (myshepherdstown.wordpress.com)
- So here’s Chapter 3 of The Wolves of West Virginia (eoghann.com)
- Getting to know West Virginia (ballhyped.com)
- Goings on in Shepherdstown this weekend… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Looking back on Remembrance Day, 2011 (cenantua.wordpress.com)
- I’ve got TWO plays to see at CATF today… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Package with white powder explodes at Ranson Post Office, West Virginia (100gf.wordpress.com)
- Looking for a Project… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Louisville Vs. West Virginia Halftime: Cardinals, Mountaineers Tied AT 21 (sbnation.com)
- PAGasDirectory.com is Becoming ShaleDirectories.com to Meet Expanding Drilling Activity in West Virginia, Ohio and New York (prweb.com)
- West Virginia: No Conference Announcement Wednesday (sbnation.com)
- Examiner.com Round Table takes sides in West Virginia and Big East legal battle (ballhyped.com)
- Wanted: West Virginia Volunteers (firstbook.org)
- West Virginia Vs. Syracuse Halftime Score: Upset Alert With A Side Of Ham (sbnation.com)
- Once again, I am embarrassed to live in West Virginia. (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- W.Va. cuts ribbon on new outdoor classroom in June (wvgazette.com)
- West Virginia, Kentucky Taking Stiffer Stances against Uninsured (news.onlineautoinsurance.com)
- Elle Young Named Program Assistant for Fifth Avenue South Business Improvement District (naplesnews.com)
- Md. Man Accused Of Defrauding Clients In West Virginia (baltimore.cbslocal.com)
- Bill Stewart Dead From Apparent Heart Attack, According To West Virginia (sbnation.com)
- Gas prices down in West Virginia 4.8 cents in past week (wvgazette.com)
- Shepherdstown Gets Branch Of Running Group (baltimore.cbslocal.com)